1. You'll need to have the depot tools installed:
2. You need git installed (needed for getting WebM source):
This, and more, is described on the Chromium site:
A script is provided for Ubuntu, which is available after your first gclient sync:
Pulse Audio is missing from the script. On Ubuntu, this is provided by the libpulse-dev package.
Although the install-build-deps.sh script is the recommended method, it will install much more than you need. Here is a (hopefully complete) minimal list of packages to install (sudo apt-get install...):
g++ (>= 4.2)
python (>= 2.4)
libnss3-dev >= 3.12
For 32-bit builds on a 64-bit system:
Tips for other distributions are available on the Chromium page.
- Visual Studio 2008 or newer, with all service packs installed.
- Using the free version Visual C++ Express does not work out of the box, but we think it should be possible by installing WDK, see Chromium's instructions for this (Additional Software, step 6). If you make it work, please let us know at the mailing list discuss-webrtc, and we will update this documentation.
- Microsoft SDK 7.1 Older versions might work as well, as long as they support Vista specific features (building on XP should be fine).
- Ensure the library and include directories for the SDK are set in MSVC|Tools|Options|Projects and Solutions|VC++ Directories (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Lib).
- Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010) (others might work as well). Please check that this SDK gets installed like this:
- Verify MSVC|Tools|Options|Projects and Solutions|VC++ Directories has Include:
$(DXSDK_DIR)include and Lib:
- Make sure the DirectX include directories appear first in the search path, otherwise you may get build errors.
- For Visual 2010 some extra steps are needed:
- Install VS2010 SP1.
- In case VS2010 is not detected automatically by GYP or in case you have multiple versions of Visual Studio in your build machine, then to generate the .sln/.vcxproj, you need to set an environment variable: GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2010
- For test programs that use MFC, make sure that the solution links to the MFC libraries statically. This gets automatically set in VS2005, but there is a bug in solution file generator for VS2010.
XCode 3.0 or higher
These instructions are tested on a Linux development machine.
In WebRTC, we're using the same Android toolchain as Chrome (the one that is downloaded into third_party/android_tools if you follow AndroidBuildInstructions). So you don't need to install NDK/SDK separately.